US Senator Bennet Statement on Bears Ears Recommendation
Washington, D.C. – Colorado U.S. Senator Michael Bennet today issued the following statement regarding Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke’s interim report on Bears Ears National Monument.
“Today’s recommendation reflects Washington interests and ignores the overwhelming input from tribes and citizens across the West who continue to support Bears Ears,” Bennet said. “This confirms the Administration’s intent to remove protections for Bears Ears and undermine the integrity of the Antiquities Act. We will continue to fight these attacks, so we can leave a public lands legacy for our children and grandchildren.”
Bennet has been an adamant supporter of our national monuments and has stood up to defend Bears Ears. Specifically, he:
· Applauded the national monument proclamation for Bears Ears;
· Supported protections for Bears Ears, calling on the Administration to meet with tribal leadership before any decisions are made;
· Sent a letter with eight other Western Democratic senators to the President urging him to uphold existing protections for all 157 national monuments, including Bears Ears;
· Spoke on the Senate floor about the importance of our national monuments and the Antiquities Act;
· Sent a letter with 30 other Democratic senators condemning the President’s Executive Order to review, and possibly modify or rescind, prior monument designations.
· Sent a letter with Colorado Governor John Hickenlooper to Secretary Zinke urging him to refrain from modifying any national monument designations in Colorado and warning him against taking unprecedented steps to diminish the size of Bears Ears.