Smithfield Foods is pleased to share that the third installment of Smithfield Foods’ 2016 Sustainability Report is now available. The Food Safety & Quality section features many recent achievements and delivers on our promise to produce safe, high-quality food. A video introduction detailing our commitment to food safety and quality is available below.
The report provides extensive information about Smithfield’s leading food safety and quality initiatives and certifications, such as:
•Maintaining zero United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) recalls of any food product for the third consecutive year (2014-2016).
• Expanding our online ingredient glossary, a first for the meat industry, that includes more than 100 definitions of ingredients that can be found in our products.
• Receiving an American Association for Laboratory Accreditation (A2LA) certification at our Denison, Iowa, microbiology facility—one of only 283 organizations accredited nationwide.
• Investing approximately $20 million on capital improvements and projects, including upgrading refrigeration systems, enhancing cleaning and sanitation systems and installing new environmental testing equipment.
• Retaining our 100 percent Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) certification, the international gold standard for food safety, at all applicable Smithfield Foods facilities, for the fifth year in a row.
• Innovating with the launch of our antibiotic-free line of pork products under our Pure Farms™ brand, along with many other product innovations.
Smithfield Food looks forward to sharing updates from the Helping Communities and People sections of the report with you next week. With the release of each installment, I encourage you to review the materials and examine our progress.
Thank you for your continued partnership and support of Smithfield.
Vice President, Regulatory Affairs and Chief Sustainability Officer
Smithfield Foods, Inc